Here are more of the great tips I got from the Larsen’s Marine Engine Maintenance workshop.
If anyone has additional tips, please feel free to share in the comments where provided below.
Engine – Part 2
21) gear oil should be changed every year when the engine oil is changed
22) gear oil should be 30 W
23) some gears use automatic transmission fuel
24) use only oil filters recommended by the manufacturer this is very important
25) if access to the oil filter is difficult extensions are available
26 it is very important that anyone operating a boat, knows how to bleed the fuel system.
27) try to get your fuel from the same place. Diesel fuel in this country is two colors; dark if no tax has been paid, light if tax has been paid
28) if you’re not in the United States, get a sample of fuel in a Mason jar swirl, let it sit and see what sediment ends up on the bottom. If sediment ends up on the bottom or water, don’t use it if you can avoid it especially if there’s a lot of sediment